Birth in the Bath!

Well this is my first post and I thought there would be nothing better for me to say than to tell you the story of my labour, and how I gave birth in my bath!

This was my first pregnancy, completely unplanned as I was in my final year at University and hadn’t been with my partner very long, so missing my period came as a complete shock! But as the weeks passed I quickly became excited and extremely impatient to meet my baby.

I had planned for a natural birth in hospital and I knew I would probably need Gas and Air and some mild pain releif. I really didn’t want an epidural but wanted to try water and if I really needed it, Diamorphine. I had lots of Braxton Hicks contractions and was always disappointed when the pains stopped because this meant baby was going to make me wait longer for a cuddle!

I was due on the 2nd January 2013, but finally on 30th December 2012 my contractions started. They were’t too painful so I managed to go to bed as normal. I woke up about 4am with, what felt like really bad period pain. I left my partner in bed and went downstairs, lapping up and down the lounge, sitting still was not an option. When D came down about 6am, my contractions were 30 seconds long and every five minutes. I phoned the hospital an hour later but they told me to stay home as I sounded okay. The pain kept getting worse and lasting longer, so again, a couple hours later I phoned back but they still told me to stay home. I was crying in pain so by 12 midday I finally got to go in, happy it was all starting. But I was so disheartened when I was examined and the midwife told me that absolutely nothing was going on! I had not dilated at all and my cervix was still long. She didn’t keep me in a second more than she had to and I was home by 2, thinking I couldn’t do it. If I couldn’t cope with 0 cm how could I get to 10 cm naturally? But by 4 that afternoon I was holding my baby!


I had gone up for a bath to try and relax but the pain got so sharp, I was screaming in pain. D called the midwife and she told me to go back to the hospital. There I was led in the bath, leg over the side, screaming at the top of my lungs, panting like a dog, and she just wanted me to stroll out to the car?!! Well she was to late! I let my body take over and I started to push. D called for an ambulance, and the man who guided him through everything was amazing! I grunted my way through and the head came out! D had emptied the bath as advised and I was screaming at him ‘Pull it out, just pull it out now’! Forgetting to breathe, I pushed as hard as I could and baby literally flew out, bouncing along the bottom of the bath tub! Watching One Born Every Minute had clearly paid off and D rubbed baby and put her on my tummy. We didn’t know the sex and I was so overjoyed when I realised I had got the girl I wanted. 15 minutes had passed before the ambulance arrived but then D got to cut the cord, and I was taken in to get checked. Unfortunately I had a third degree tear and had to get a Spinal Block, which was worse than the actual labour for me!


Anything could have gone wrong and all the awful possibilities went through my mind, but I was so lucky. I got to leave hospital the next day with my beautiful perfect daughter, Molly Amaya, a healthy 7lbs 7oz. She is the best thing to ever happen to me and what a story I have to tell her one day, she was born in the bath and delivered by her daddy.